Cats and Lillies

We would like to take this chance to warn cat owners about a potentially dangerous plant to cats that may be in or around their house – the Lily.

Cats are extremely sensitive to lilies, including Easter lilies, Day lilies, Tiger lilies, Asiatic lilies and Stargazer lilies. Any part of the lily may be toxic to the cat, including the stem, leaves, petals, stamens and pollen. A cat does not need to eat the lily to be poisoned, just chewing on the leaves or getting pollen on his/her coat can poison the cat.

Cats who are exposed to the lily’s toxin develop acute kidney failure and die, usually within 3-6 days of exposure to the lily. However if a cat is treated within 18 hours of exposure, they have a better chance at recovery.
Early signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. Symptoms worsen as kidney failure develops. Some cats will experience disorientation, staggering and seizures. Symptoms typically develop within 6-12 hours of exposure.

If you see your cat chewing or licking on a lily plant, call your veterinarian immediately or, if it is after hours, take your cat to a local veterinary emergency clinic.
Cats are very curious creatures and enjoy chewing on or playing with plants. The best way to prevent lily toxicity is to keep any of the above lilies out of your house or yard.

For more information about lily toxicity, go to
For more information about other potentially toxic plants and substances, visit the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Our Hours
Monday8:00am – 4:00pm
Tuesday8:00am – 5:30pm
Wednesday7:30am – 5:30pm
Thursday8:00am – 1:00pm
Friday8:00am – 4:30pm
Saturday8:00am – 1:00pm

Mondays we are closed 1:00-2:00 p.m. for lunch Sundays and Major Holidays - Closed